Signing up to COPE shows that your journal (or company) intends to follow the highest standards of publication ethics and to apply COPE principles of publication ethics outlined in the Core Practices. By joining COPE you will help support our work in promoting publication ethics and providing advice for editors and publishers.
Principles of Transparency and Best Practice in Scholarly Publishing
COPE is just one of a number of organisations that is seeing a large rise in applications for membership from new journals. Although we very much want to encourage and support legitimate new journals, we are also mindful that many new journals are not currently sufficiently transparent about their business practices and authors in particular may be unable to judge the legitimacy of these journals. Together with (OASPA), (DOAJ), and (WAME) we have therefore compiled a minimum set of criteria that journals will be assessed against when they apply for membership at one of our organisations. The full criteria can be seen here and we welcome feedback2007so太阳集团. We encourage authors and anyone else who is unfamiliar with a journal to use these criteria in assessing a journal.
Benefits of Membership
2007so太阳集团COPE members can:
- receive advice on individual cases via the Forum (bringing cases in person or by phone)
- attend the annual seminar (free for members)
- access the eLearning package
- use the ethical audit tool to see how well their journals match COPE’s guidelines
- use the COPE logo in their journal
- use sample letters to help draft their own where there is potential misconduct
- stand for election to COPE Council
as well as using the other resources available to members and non-members including the:
- Core Practices
- Best Practice guidelines
- cases database
- podcasts of forum discussions
- retraction guidelines
- other guidelines
Who is eligible?
- Editors of peer-reviewed academic journals;
- Companies that publish peer-reviewed academic journals; and
- Individuals or companies who are interested in publication ethics and are working in or associated with the publication of peer-reviewed scholarly journals may become an individual or corporate member. Journal editors or publishers are not eligible for individual or corporate membership.
Membership subscription fees
Contact us for any queries about membership, including details of how to apply for INDIVIDUAL or CORPORATE membership. Use the links below to apply for journal or publisher membership.